Saturday, April 27, 2013

Castiglione della Pescaia

Of the area that I covered, Castiglione della Pescaia seemed to be the most commercial town. They had a castle and everything was ancient, yes, but there were tourist shops of every shape and size: pottery, high end undies, a pop-up shop for fashion clothing, beach wear, and my favorite the gelato place. Of the handful of small villages I dragged Matt around to, this place definitely had definitely cultivated a tourist district.

When we got into town, we parked across the street from this poster. The knowledge that I'm missing Pork Fest this weekend makes my heart heavy.

Grosetto, Italy

I was also really interested in witnessing the Ass. Hockey.

Here's the main entrance to the castle. Apparently there was an enduro race that ended in town, and the course went down a set of steps within the walls. I saw them with my own eyes!

Grosetto, Italy

Along the inner wall.

Grosetto, Italy

Grosetto, Italy

Climbing to the top and the overlook - those are the aforementioned stairs in the background, there!

Grosetto, Italy

We were rewarded with this view of the town.

Grosetto, Italy

On the way back down, we found the church.

Grosetto, Italy

So. Old. So. Cool.

Grosetto, Italy

Grosetto, Italy

Grosetto, Italy

Grosetto, Italy

I hope you're not bored of pictures of old castles, because there's a lot more where that came from...

No comments: