Monday, September 12, 2011

First Weekend in NC

I've got some catching up to do! As always.

My first Sunday in town, I hiked and rode on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Robb and his friend went climbing nearby, so we split up and adventures were had. I got to hike in and see what they were going to climb, then I headed back out to grab my bike for the ride.

P1020648

I rode over the Linn Cove Viaduct, and also stopped in the little information center to learn more about it, and the surrounding area.

P1020644

(Don't judge my helmet, I had to borrow one! I don't usually do pink and baby blue.)

P1020642

Back at the car I napped and relaxed for a while before getting my shoes on for a hike. I met an 85 year old WWII veteran, and we hiked to the top of what i think was Pilot Knob with him. He moved pretty well for an old dude.

P1020665

He told stories aaalllll along the way :) Here we're hanging out at the top. He showed me a way to do a loop instead of descending the way we came, which would have been very steep and rocky.

P1020662

Back at the parking lot, he rejoined his wife and I moseyed on back to the climbing area and rejoined the guys.

P1020678

All in all, not a bad day :)

No comments: