Friday, June 4, 2010

NC v2 Pt. 1

I'm finding it hard to come up with a good starting point for this whole adventure, so I'll post a few photos and stories to go along with, in no particular order. To outline the trip, Cale and I visited Asheville/Hendersonville for his birthday weekend. (Well, weekend plus. Almost five full days.) We rode every day for a few hours; at Bent Creek, and two different sections of Dupont and Pisgah. At Pisgah we hit up Squirrel Gap and surrounding trails, as well as Laurel Mountain and Pilot Rock another day.

Last time I was down there, I chickened out on wading through a creek, because I didn't want to get my feet wet. Wet feet mean clammy feet mean freezing toes means missing toes. Frostbite! I failed to remember I was no longer in Wisconsin, and that it was no longer winter. This time around, I waded across at least a dozen crossings, and I never even noticed my wet feet while riding, which I totally did not expect.

Me, River Crossing

It rained nearly every day we were down there, but usually the downpours were quick. We still got in plenty of riding, though the riding was more challenging in parts. Rocks and roots were slick, and in parts of Dupont the mud was really greasy. Thus, there were some unridable parts, though we tried and tried.

Cale

Aaron

And tried.

Cale

On Critters:
In Dupont on Bridal Veil Falls, we found some newts that were a lot of fun. They had fat little bellies and their toes gripped and felt almost sticky on your hands.

She turned me into a newt!

Giant snail we found on Laurel Mountain. Yum, organic Pisgah escargot.

Escargot

Around Laurel Creek I ran across a snake quite literally. Don't worry, he was gone when we came back, so it would appear he made it.

Ooooh geez.

Well, that's all for now. More later when I feel like continue rambling on. Oh, you lucky readers.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Yes. Please more. Danke.