Sunday, January 17, 2010

Blood Feast

On Saturday I went in to the Blood Center for my yearly donation.

Givin' Blood

I get strangely excited about donating blood. Here are some of the reasons.

1) Even though I have a car now, I like riding my bike to go donate. Sure, it's not a great idea, but it's seriously mostly downhill from the Blood Center back home, so it's just a lot of coasting. Anyway, I like riding around the city and doing errands like I used to all the time. Plus, one time I biked in it was really cold and when they took my temperature it was a few degrees cooler. Neat, huh?

2) What's it going to be?! Sometimes, I don't have enough iron to give. So I go through the paperwork, then the finger prick and the test. Pins and needles! Heh, pretty literally.

3) Watching the needle go in. When they tell me 'Now's the time you should look away', that's when I perk up. I get a sick thrill from watching the needle. Hey, I admitted it's sick, alright?

4) How fast can I fill up the bag? Clearly, I want to be the best at donating, to do an exemplary job.

5) Blood snacks! Afterward, you get served juice, cookies and trail mix. Is there a better way to spend a Saturday morning?

6) It's a once-a-year thing because of cycling. It's still arguable that giving blood's not a good thing right now, but I'm only in the fitness stage of training and hey, I'm no pro.

7) Last but not least, I feel like a productive member of society after giving. No, really. Winner.

Anyway, I went and, joy of all joys, my hematocrit was high enough. No issues on the ride home, and I stopped half-way to see a friend working downtown. And all of this before noon! What a productive member of society I am.

No comments: