Thursday, August 16, 2012

Cape Cod, Dahling.

Ahoy, Polloi! Don't mind me, I just spent a weekend on the Cape. My Aunt and Uncle share a cottage they inherited, along with another couple in my Uncle's family. Whenever people hear 'cottage on the Cape', I feel like the dollar amount they've assigned to my family goes up. It's a wonderful and comfortable cottage, but it's not a grand affair. See?


Ok, let's continue.

A short walk, or an even shorter bike ride away, are a series of fresh water ponds. We played a kind of volleyball with a little inflatable ball for a while before swimming around and generally lazing about for a while. Happily, I got to spend time with my cousin Rachel for the first time since Christmas.


That night, most of the family went into Provincetown, or P-Town. It was pretty much as I remembered it, which could be described as 'fabulous'. Drag queens call for you to come and watch their show, people of all kinds walk the main drag, the shops are open late, and there's ice cream on every other corner. Mmmm. After most everything had closed and we had gotten some ice cream for the walk, we walked out on the pier to see the historic (replica) ship docked at the end.


In a word, it was ROPES. See? I tried to find a descriptor but all I can say is ROPES.


I can really only imagine what it would have been like to be up in the crow's nest during a storm, being whipped back and forth by the sea.


On the walk back in, I took a picture of this lovely painted sign. Funny dog/blob/human, isn't it?


We can't forget Bubbles the whale.


The next morning, we went to the flea market, which is half new crap and half old crap. It's wonderful! Look at all these Sharpies you can buy for $3!


Wait a minute...


 Super Shoupies? You tricksters, you.

On the other side of the parking lot you have antiques and oddities. I liked this duo, seen baking on the asphalt.


After grabbing some lunch back at the cottage, it was on to the ocean, which I remembered (from high school) to be an inhospitable place, with killer waves, tons of seaweed, gale force winds and freezing cold water. Not too much has changed. To be fair, we were there at high tide and things would have been a little nicer at low tide, but such is life. We still had a lot of fun playing Paddle Ball on the beach, and dipping in for a cool-down every once in a while.




It was so windy, one had to be careful not to be impaled by feral beach umbrellas.


These goofballs are my family. Can you believe it?


After the ocean, we hit up a pond really quickly, then headed back to shower up, go out to eat, and hit the road. When I got back to the cottage, though, Steve informed me that a large branch had broken off in the wind and landed on the roof of my car.


Oh, cute. The offending branch can be seen on the right, next to the car.


Poor thing. On the drive out, a can of root beer had gotten stabbed by a broken pair of glasses and leaked, in its entirety, onto the back seat, leaving a large water (or root beer) stain in the fabric. It was not a good weekend for the car at all. Ah well, there's nothing for it.

The old rattletrap still made it to dinner, where we ate and then walked the beach for a little while before heading 'home' (to the hotel).


Tiny crab.


Bigger crab.


Little dog.



Unfortunately, an Alien style face sucker got Travis, but sometimes the vacation gods require a sacrifice.


No comments: