Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Free Time

I've done some calculations. 40% of the time I fall behind on my blog (not posting for a week or a month) it's because I haven't been doing anything interesting and have nothing to report. 60% of the time it's because I've been doing far too many things.

Here's the situation this time: Interbike, Interbike, Interbike. Up until the show, I was swamped with work. I worked very, very hard with long hours for about a month and a half, or maybe two months. It was incredibly stressful, and I think whatever amount of time it actually was would be very close to the max amount of time I could spend with that workload and stress. However- and I mentioned this in the last post- I'm proud of the designing I did, and all's well that ends well.

Right before taking off to Interbike was Gnome Fest, which is about five posts in itself. I wrote about it on the team site if you want to hear about it. I won the women's dirt alleycat again this year, after getting second last year. Really great prizes, really well organized, awesome artwork for the poster. Gnome Fest is always impressive.

On Tuesdays when I could sneak away, I'd go to the cross practice at Estabrook that Team Pegasus (Cale) puts on. Here's another post on the team blog. Those are always a good time to shoot the shit with teammates and other Milwaukee area racers. I wouldn't really get that opportunity elsewhere. It's an interesting mix of people.

We also went on a road ride up in Cedarburg (some photos here). Cale and I and seven guys from Chicago let loose on some great back roads. I'm about to blow my cover, but I'll tell you what I do for long group rides with a bunch of dudes. Guys will get excited and take off at the beginning of a ride. Since you're in a large group, though, they have to wait for the stragglers, so I just sit back at a comfortable pace.

On the fourth or fifth hour of the ride, the guys are tuckered out and any move I make will look awesome (or, you know, better than I usually would) because everyone else is wilting. Also, I get pumped that I'm fresh(er) so I put in some efforts and get a good workout in without getting discouraged trying to keep up with the guys the whole time and blowing up. That's about what I did for this ride, except I got excited on a couple of hills here and there and charged up them with (behind) the guys. At the very end of the ride, about six miles out, we put together a pace line and drilled it most of the way back into town. It was fun and just about broke all of us.

But back to catching up! Interbike, Las Vegas, CrossVegas and the Dirt Demo took up about a week. I haven't blogged about that because I really don't know where to start. Soon, though. Baby steps. Baby steps.

What I'm up to these days: The weather is getting colder and I've got the urge to do all sorts of indoor projects. I've got so much stuff to do in my free time that it feels like I don't actually have free time! I mean, when I get off of work at night I have to hurry home to get to work!

I've broken out my oil paints after many years off. They're still as lovely as ever. I love being able to mix the paint on the canvas, to be able to push it around for a few hours. And the colors! So, so beautiful. Acrylics are convenient and healthier, but come on. They're like a Frosty compared to a Culvers Shake. You know the Frosty's not the real deal. I could never get the colors with acrylics that I do with oils.

Sewing machine! My aunt gave me a metal bodied Bernina (vintage, not sure what year) sewing machine a few years ago. I finally hauled it out and got it running, which really just meant threading everything. I've been slow in doing that because I don't trust myself with sewing machines. I don't really understand them and I'm afraid I'll break something (because I have in the past, in fact). But now it's running and Cale and I have been doing some projects. Pictures later.

Costume update: Headpiece ordered. If it's anything like the photo online, I'll be very pleased. I also ordered four 6" boas (I'll find something to do with all of them, I'm sure!) and have been doing more beading. Always more beading. It's really starting to come together. I found the perfect false eyelashes, too! I'm not really sure how to do the makeup, though, because that's never really been my strong suit. I think if I want the costume to look truly ridiculous flying along at the Halloween race, I'll have to really do up the makeup. It's been fun to get back to this project after setting aside for many weeks.

Well, back to work for me.

No comments: