Saturday, December 29, 2012

Butcher Block Anchor

For almost exactly a year, I've hauled around this butcher block table top that my friend Kate gave me. My parents and I drove it down to Asheville, NC, after Christmas last year, and I bought steel hair pin legs for it. However, there wasn't really space for it, and I was frankly frightened to drill holes into this table top valued at hundreds of dollars. That's a lot of dollars, you guys! I thought for sure taking on the project myself would lead to a blog post ending in "...and this is why we can't have nice things."

And so it looked like this for about a year.

Butcher Block Table

Butcher Block Table

I moved it up to Connecticut when I moved and nearly ruined one scrawny college neighbor kid moving it up to my second floor apartment. At two inches thick and solid maple (I think?), it's easily the heaviest thing I own, and now I know it requires not only two people, but two non-scrawny people to move.

Months after moving in, I managed to trick a coworker with woodworking experience into helping me drill holes for the legs and pick out the hardware to attach said legs. Behold my new craft table:

Butcher Block Table

Butcher Block Table

Seeing it all built up draws this chapter of the traveling table top to a close. And now for the crafting!

No comments: