Saturday, March 2, 2013

Riding in Italy, Pt 1

Life hasn't been too bad this past week. I didn't really know what to expect from the team camp, but it's yielded lots of pasta, chatting and riding. The camp consists of the pro mountain bikers, key Cannondale employees, members of the (cycling world) press, and me. We stayed in a hotel right on the beach across from a restaurant that we took over for the week.

The restaurant was literally on the beach.

P2260165

As was the demo truck.

P2260167

Whenever we all gathered together getting to ride, people walking by (mostly older retired Italians) would watch and wonder what the heck was going on. I was (not so?) secretly very pleased and think it's entirely possible that I fooled one or two clueless oldsters into thinking I was a big deal.

P2260173

The pro riders were interviewed and photographed to within an inch of death. This man, Marco Aurelio Fontana, and I are in love. He and his wife just aren't aware of it yet. Seriously though, such a great guy, and wonderful to talk to.

P2260170

 So during my first day there, we woke up with a leisurely breakfast, then got kitted up for a ride. We rode as a group out of town and up a mountain, to where there was a short 3km loop waiting for us.

P2260184

P2260187

P2260188

P2260190

Once up there, we did one loop and had lunch. Delicious!

P2260216

P2260218

After lunch I snuck out for a second loop before the 'race' started and snagged some photos.

P2260206

P2260215

The set-up of the race was that the pros did one loop by themselves, then did a sort of relay with members of the press, for a total of 6 laps or so. Happily, I wound up on top of the climb with some other people, cheering the riders on.

P2260267

Of course there was beer. My definition of 'pro' expanded to include 'someone who can chug an entire beer after riding quickly up a hill, then continue as if they don't want to throw it up'.

P2260257

This guy.

P2260259

It was during this commotion that I wondered if there were many things better than standing on a hilltop in Italy littered with Cannondale mountain bikes and surrounded by strangers from the bike industry while goofball riders who are having a great time stream past. I'm at a loss of what to say, other than 'I would hate me, too' and I'd like to assure you that I'm aware that I am undeserving scum who has gotten inexplicably lucky! Honestly, this is all quite ridiculous.

No comments: